Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Career Change?

Is it really a career change to take 15 years of entrepreneurial business-building experience to an established company? ...in the same general field? I believe it is not a career change. To me it is a means by which to share the experience, knowledge and expertise. To test my scalability. But based on my experiences with recruiters and hiring managers, I often wonder if they think it is a career change.

Here is an example:
The single most common criticism to my resume is; "I don't see any large company experience". To that I ask "What is the value, in your opinion, of having large company experience?" When I really want to say; "You're right. I'm proud of that. Instead of depending on someone else to do something I had to do it myself or figure out how to get it done. I had to write an employee handbook while selling contracts while planning rates and analyzing performance while hiring staff and training new employees while writing a marketing plan while creating a case for financing while raising financing...all by myself. I had to convince a cog-in-the-machine of a huge corporation, like you, that my companies solution was going to help them impress their boss or make their job easier. And all the while, I had to worry about being able to support, not just my family, but all my employees families - every day."

I cannot wait to test my mettle with the best of them in the "corporate" playing field. To me, it's all about learning and applying that knowledge to make something better or make something grow. My challenge here is figuring out how to position myself for that perfect role in that big business.

No comments: