Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Challenge

Ok, here's my challenge. I have 15 years of entrepreneurial experience: conceiving, founding, developing, building, running and consulting businesses. Most of this experience is in the health care / medical space. At this point in my career I want to work with an established enterprise. The field I am focused on is "business development", which to me means developing the business; any part of the revenue engine. In this process of finding that perfect role, I am talking to recruiters and networking, among other things. The purpose, of course, is to uncover and align myself with opportunities. In most cases I explain my situation, experience, value, etc... to the contact, give them my resume and hope they can align me with possible opportunities, of which they see many.

Sorry for the long backstory. Due to my broad experience it is nearly impossible to describe all of the details of my entire career to any one contact. So how can I expect them to dissect my resume to identify specific required qualifications for a particular opportunity?

For example, most jobs - like this one - are relatively narrow in scope. "Director of Alternate Care Sales" at a medical device company. This company calls for quantifiable sales results, experience in specific sales arenas, management of sales teams, etc. I have all that experience but it would be impossible to expect every recruiter or networking contact to derive that from my experience. They will definitely not see a perfect fit from my resume. A complete resume, with enough information for every opportunity would be way too long.

The best results I've had so far are from direct conversations with hiring managers, where I can cherry-pick specifics from my experience relevant to the specific role at hand.

How can I leverage my network of contacts and recruiters to sniff out opportunities?

No comments: