Monday, June 23, 2008

Dependability

Whatever it is that makes us all different includes a "get it done" category. In my observations there are different degrees from "get nothing done" to "get too much done". There are far too many on the lower end of the scale. To my point, how much nicer would this world be if everyone did what they say they'd do?

I like to think that most people have good intentions, and I will assume here that is the case. What I think happens is a some kind of disconnection between reality and desire. Basically, when a person says they will do something they have every intention of doing it but do not take into account reality, things like: time, weather, resources, other people's influence, etc...

What really boggles me is the apparent disregard for lessons learned. Would it be logical to learn from mistakes to become relatively good at getting stuff done by adulthood? This is what I don't understand. Are people comfortable being late, disappointing themselves and those around them? Are people OK with a lack of dependability?

It's an epidemic! It's a simple concept. Do what you say you'll do.

No comments: