Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Confidence

One of the most admired characteristics is 'confidence'. When people are confident and sure of themselves it makes an excellent impression. In fact, it is one of the traits that makes women attractive. It is virtually required of C-level executives and leaders of all kinds for that matter.

In a job search there is a feeling of ethereal discomfort that makes it difficult sometimes to create structure, which feeds insecurities and can reduce confidence. Situations that really have no meaning can lead to thoughts of inferiority. My personal strategy to combat this is to take on a responsibility for making progress.

An example: I was cleaning up my computer last night and noticed Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft Office XP so I removed Office 2003 from my system, since I did not need the older version. Bad move. Office 2003 was there because it included Outlook. I deleted it and all my mail, calendar, contacts... SH!T! So I recovered all my files from Carbonite and reloaded Outlook, set up my system back to normal and see an email informing me that I was not progressing on to a third interview. Then my system crashed due to some errors while loading Outlook. Then I got a call at midnight from a stranger across town that she had my lost dog tied up to her fence in the rain. So when I got back from picking up the dog I made a list of things to do to make some new progress on the job search. Progress feels good and reinforces my confidence.

No comments: